The pressure to finalize New Year's Eve plans is on!
I love a good NYE party, but I tend to be a late RSVPer. I'm always thinking, "UGH! I do not want to deal with crowds and drunkenness and having to find a sparkly dress, so I'm just going to stay home." Then all my friends make plans together and I find myself having to overnight a one-night-only dress now that I've been suckered into doing whatever.
If you're spending NYE on the couch at home, it's definitely okay! But just in case you get that last minute urge to participate in the midnight countdown and champagne toast, here are some places in and around D.C. that would be nice:
- Marvin - 2007 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20009; Tickets: $20 presale, $30 at the door; Dress code: Cocktail - One of my favorite happy hour haunts on 14th Street does a New Year's Eve celebration every year that has a solid reputation around town. I rung in 2016 here and had a blast! The restaurant downstairs remains open until the late hours if you get hungry from all the partying upstairs. This year, 20% of the ticket sales will benefit Words Beats and Life, Inc., a non-profit that creates educational experiences through Hip-Hop Culture.
- Penn Social - 801 E St NW, Washington, DC 20004; Tickets: No cover charge; Dress code: Casual - Penn Social has your entire New Year's Eve covered from day to night, with no cover charge (crazy, right?!). That means you have the option of having some daytime fun before chilling out at home at night, spending the evening playing the arcade games before the complimentary champagne toast at midnight, or just pulling a marathon "Sunday Funday" by doing both. The celebration starts at 12 noon.
- 18th Street Lounge - 1212 18 St NW, Washington, DC 20036; Tickets: $10 or more, sold at the door; Attire: Upscale casual, I would recommend cocktail attire to ensure admission - Eighteenth Street Lounge is literally one of my favorite lounges in D.C. because of its diverse crowd, great bartenders, and laid-back cool ambiance. On New Year's Eve, they are filling their 3 rooms and the heated patio with sounds from 4 different DJs. Grab dinner ahead of time (the venue does not serve food) at a nearby restaurant like Michelin-starred Blue Duck Tavern, the new Nobu, The Palm, Iron Gate, Circa, or Rasika West End.
- The Park at 14th - 920 14th Street Northwest Washington, DC 20005; Tickets: GA for $65, VIP for $120. Contact the club for table options; Dress code: "Upscale" - This nightclub rarely ever fails at delivering an unforgettable experience. If you want to do New Year's Eve in a big way but couldn't get out to Vegas or Miami, make sure you're here. The Park at 14th plans to host an epic party complete with four floors of music, decorations, and passed hors d'oeuvres. An open bar will be available from 8-11pm for VIP ticket purchasers.
- Heist - 1802 Jefferson Pl NW, Washington, DC 20036; Tickets: GA for singles is $35, couples are $60, VIP is $85 for singles while couples are $150. Contact the club for table options; Dress code: Cocktail - If you want the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas in a more intimate space, Heist will be your favorite spot! The bullhorn doors open to a lounge decked out in black leather seating, gilded walls, and extravagant decor. Everyone gets party favors and a complimentary glass of champagne upon arrival. VIP guests enjoy a Perrier-Jouet and Ketel One open bar until midnight.
- Clarendon Ballroom - 3185 Wilson Boulevard Arlington, VA 22201; Tickets: Currently $90 but will increase up to $130 as the day approaches; Dress code: Cocktail - One of the best Northern Virginia nightlife spots is hosting a celebration in its massive, open ballroom. Even at the current price of $90 (early bird tickets were $70), it's still a bargain for a New Year's Eve night. You bring the impressive outfit, dance moves, friends, and laughs - Clarendon Ballroom will supply party favors, a full dinner buffet, 4 drink tickets, and a champagne toast at midnight with a balloon drop.
- Stadium - 2127 Queens Chapel Rd NE, Washington, DC 20018; Tickets: $30 General Admission or $40 Express Entry. Contact the club for table options; Attire: "Dress to Impress" - What better way to bring in the New Year than by making it rain in the tried and true adult playground with some of the most beautiful exotic dancers in the city. My jaw drops every time I see Caliente, Journii, or Lola on the stage. Make sure you order hot wings if you get hungry (literally the best wings in the city). Then, toast to beautiful women, more life, and good times with your friends at midnight!
- SAX - 734 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20001; Tickets: $50 for singles, $75 for couples; Attire: All white attire is encouraged, but dressy causal is acceptable - No one does opulent voyeurism and over the top parties better than SAX these days. The cabaret style venue is creating a Winter Wonderland with live entertainment throughout the evening. Enjoy free party favors, pole performers dancing around you, and burlesque dancers on the stage. While aerialists are performing above you and stilt walkers continue to prance around, countdown to a Moët champagne toast at midnight.
- MGM Grand National Harbor - 101 MGM National Ave, Oxon Hill, MD 20745; Tickets: $159.09 with advance purchase; Attire: 80s fashion - Take this opportunity to relive the 80s, with glowsticks and all, when you ring in 2018 at the New Year's Eve "Rewind" party hosted in the theater of the MGM Grand National Harbor. Heavy hors d'oeuvres, an open bar, and a complimentary midnight champagne toast are included in your ticket. Take a photo in the photo booth and try to out cabbage patch the go-go dancers. The Deloreans will perform throughout the night and cover the most memorable artists and nostalgic songs of the '80s, so feel free to robocop or hit the prep when your favorite 80's song comes on.
Enjoy your New Year's Eve plans, whatever you decide to do! Don't drink and drive. Have fun!